Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Eatin' High on the Hog...and Cow...and Deer...

Slipping in and out of a meat-induced coma after tonight's supper.  I pushed the limits of country cuisine by charcoal grilling up a batch of hot dogs wrapped in venison burger and bacon and topped with melted cheese.

 Ingredients are few

* 2 lbs. hamburger
* 1 lb. thin-sliced bacon
* 8 natural casing wieners (adds "snap" texture)
* grated cheese



How it's done

Form burger into eight patties.  Place hot dog on top of patty and roll up patty so it encases dog.  Burger adheres to dog better if dog is towel-dried first.

Wrap the dog/burger combo with two pieces of bacon.  I did a spiral pattern in one direction with the first piece - then went the opposite direction with second piece.  The bacon holds the entire unit together nicely during grilling process.


Slow cooking

These masses of meat need an hour of grilling to cook through - so use indirect heat to avoid burning.  Push hot coals to one side of grill and place meat on opposite side.  Put cover on grill and cook for half-hour on one side, then roll over and cook for another half-hour.  Add cheese.  When cheese melts, remove from grill.

Standard hot dog/brat buns will not hold these meaty masterpieces.  You'll need sub buns or hardrolls.  Happy heart attack! ~L

2 comments:

  1. sorry Loren this doesn't look appealing to me. Creative though. I maybe have a hotdog once a year camping and I do like the skin on. But ew with the burger and bacon.Glad to see your Wi roots had you add the cheese to the top.Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uffda! Sounds very tasty (except for the venison - eeeww!) and I may just have to try it sometime!

    Hopping on over from LutherLiz's Two Truths and A Lie blog-hop to say hello and nice to meet you!

    Cheers!
    Lana D

    ReplyDelete