Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Bruised Ribs and Ego

Went to the doctor today to x-ray my ribs.  Hurt them last week in a collision while playing first base in a city league baseball game.  Haven't been able to sleep, cough, sneeze or hiccup without agony.  Tests were negative for fractures.  Diagnosis - a form of Costochondritis - an injury to the cartilage connecting rib bones to the sternum.

It's the fourth time in ten years (not counting my broken foot) I found myself staring at the ceiling in the x-ray lab waiting for pictures of my ribs.  In all, I've been told they've been broken, cracked, bruised, separated, and strained.

My previous doctor, after questioning me about my diet (which consists mostly of beer and candy), actually told me I had "the bone density of a 60-year-old, pre-menopausal woman."

Come on.  Can a 60-year-old woman hit an 80 mph curveball?  No.

Well, neither can I.  ~L

No comments:

Post a Comment