Thursday, November 10, 2011

Class Dismissed (revised)

(Note: the original version of this post was erroneously deleted. I posted again - with revisions.)

Bamboozled my way into a teaching gig at our local high school last week.  For the next three months, 85 freshmen and sophomores look to me for guidance through creative writing and literature.  If they only knew it's taken me ten minutes of re-writes to avoid using commas and semicolons.  (Thanks to former colleagues, and professional editors, Megan E., Monica H., and Kevin Q., my portfolio of published works is a sham.)

Only in America (or maybe only northern Wisconsin) can a man rise from the ranks as a schlepper of advertising copywriting, to hack blogging about dick jokes and beer, to become a shaper of young minds.

Because I'm no longer satisfied with earning two-figure paychecks, I decided I'd avoid using phrases like "dangling participles" and "straightening out Longfellow" in my classroom.  ~L

No comments:

Post a Comment